You never know what’s going to happen at a staff meeting here at the church. Whether it is Dick bringing on toy racecars, Donna giving us crayons and mandalas, or Dwight bringing in funny cartoons, it is always an energetic space for us to collaborate our Kingdom work together.
This week I brought in a United Methodist Quiz to test our knowledge on truly trivial things related to our Church. I borrowed it from an online version found here–I am ashamed to admit that I only got 11 out of 20! But the ones that I gave the staff (and they mostly passed!) were:
1) How tall was John Wesley?
5’3 or 5’4 5’8 or 5’9
6’0 or 5’9 6’3 or 6’4
2) In the late 1800s, Methodists were to avoid attending which of the following?
horse races games of chance
all of the above
3) The 1904 General Conference sang what song as a tribute to President William McKinley?
Nearer My God to Thee O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Rock of Ages Onward Christian Soldiers
4) Why was General Conference 1800 moved from fall to spring?
inclement weather yellow fever
location disagreement scheduling mix up
5) What ranked #1 in a poll on The United Methodist Church’s official Facebook page asking, “What is your favorite hymn in The United Methodist Hymnal?”
“How Great Thou Art” “The Old Rugged Cross”
“Here I Am, Lord” “Amazing Grace”
6) What does the flame in the United Methodist Cross and Flame emblem represent?
the Holy Spirit
John Wesley feeling his heart strangely warmed
Union of the Methodist Church & the Evangelical United Brethren Church
all of the above
7) Which of the following are mascots at United Methodist Universities?
Chuck the Pioneer The Battling Bishops
The Blue Devil A really fierce Terrier
All of the Above
You’ll have to take the online quiz to find out the answers (and some are surprising!) but I just wanted to share these for your enjoyment today. Blessings until we see each other again.