Besides Worship, Fellowship, and Education programs, one of the cornerstones of our life at First United Methodist Church is Outreach, that is, following Christ’s example by being called in Christian discipleship to serve others whose needs far exceed our own.
As examples of our Outreach programs, we regularly:
- Donate food to feed Portland’s hungry families, and volunteer at the Oregon Food Bank
- Provide temporary housing for homeless families via our Goose Hollow Family Shelter
- Fund medical treatment for the poor and homeless attending Portland’s annual Downtown Compassion Clinic
- Sponsor social justice forums to illuminate current societal issues
- Help distribute household goods to families recovering from homelessness
- Actively participate in the annual Bread for the World campaign to eliminate world hunger
- Fund annual paid summer internships for work in community service
As the Apostle Paul wrote to the Ephesians, “For we are what he (God) has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.” So come join us in fellowship! Begin or continue your own personal ministry with us in making Christian discipleship your “way of life” each new day!
Our three Outreach Committees are: