The community of First United Methodist Church gathers for worship every Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. in our chapel and at 10:30 a.m. in our sanctuary . The worship service is the best way to experience our common life, gather information about the community’s missions and ministries, and get to know people with common life experiences.
As a Creation Care congregation, we advocate for lifestyles and social policies which bring healing and renewal to our precious Earth.
First United Methodist Church is located at 1838 SW Jefferson. Portland, OR 97201
- Directions: Click here for Google Map directions.
- Public transportation: We can be reached by Max on the blue or red lines at the Goose Hollow stop (18th and Jefferson). TriMet Bus lines 6, 58 and 68 all stop right at the church, the 51 and the 63 both stop a few blocks away. You can use the TriMet.org Trip Planner for more details about public transportation.
- Parking: In addition to the parking next to the church, there is also parking available in the lots to the east of the sanctuary. Visitor parking and parking for senior citizens is specially marked near the front doors. The MAX and Tri-Met buses stop at First Church’s entrance onto Jefferson Street.
- What to wear: Whatever you wear in your everyday walking-around life. Jeans to sport coats, t-shirts to blouses, shorts to pleated khakis, are all fine. Yes, even socks with sandals.
- Message: The worship service is crafted in a way that the music and the word work in harmony. Our preachers reflect on the Bible and Culture from a progressive United Methodist viewpoint. You can learn more about our staff here.
- Music: Hymns are accompanied by a full choir and one of the largest pipe organs on the west coast. The music really must be experienced in person–but here’s our podcast for a taste!
- Welcoming All: First UMC welcomes persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and has that welcome reflected in all levels of congregational leadership. Learn more about Reconciling Ministries.
Children: Sunday School at First Church is a wonderful opportunity for children 3 years old through 6th grade to learn about God, the Bible, and our church. Children are dismissed from the 10:30 AM worship service directly following the Children’s Message. Parents are welcome to meet their child(ren) at their classrooms following worship–if it is your first time, follow the crowd and our staff and volunteers will direct you to the correct room and get you oriented.
NEWCOMER TO FIRST CHURCH?
Click here if you are a newcomer to First Church.
THE COMMONS-AM AND THE COMMONS IN COLLINS HALL
Come to Collins Hall on Sundays from 8:45 AM to 10:15 AM. We’ll be open for coffee, juice, snack and conversation. Then join us after the worship service for the Commons in Collins Hall and sign up for an activity, get information on a current issue, check out a book … or just have coffee with a friend. Follow the signs from the sanctuary.
For more information, please call our church office:
- Weekdays: 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. | Sundays: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Phone: 503-228-3195
- Email: email@example.com